January 3, 2008

Knit together as family


Yesterday I struggled to connect with Quintin. It was either me being hormonally-challenged or his will to push and see what he could attempt to get away with. Either way - we just didn't connect. Even bedtime was...well, just different.

I left his room and came downstairs to sit on the couch with T. I decided to grab a project to do while we sat. I chose the dishcloth I started this past weekend. As I was knitting I was reflecting back on our day...trying to discover what was different.

While distracted with my thoughts, I later noticed a mistake about a row behind where I currently was working. Backtracking with knitting is possible - but I've only been knitting 2 years and I have a lot to learn. I tried to correct my mistake with the dishcloth still on the needles, but I couldn't do it.

Now came the difficult process of removing my project from the needles and trusting that I could keep from dropping stitches while I pulled out the yarn from the row with the mistake. Often, when doing this, if I drop a stitch, I end up unraveling the entire project to start over. Last night, I was able to keep all my stitches together and slip them back onto the needle to continue on.

After I was back in my knitting groove, it hit me...I couldn't backtrack my day with Quintin. I couldn't un-do the day.

But I can take it off the needles - I can take it out of my hands.

I can give the situation to God and not worry about it. I can put my trust in Him that He will work in our lives.

I told T about the situation with Quintin, he questioned, "He's 5. Are you going to let this bother you?" I thought, no, because I am taking it off the needles and giving it to God.



post signature

12 comments:

Just Mom said...

Love your insight.

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

I love your attitude about things...so positive all the time!

Tracy said...

Ahhh... yesterday must have been a day for mothers and their eldest boys, because I had one too. This shall pass, and GOD is in control.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Ummmm...deep thoughts...by Leigh Ann :)

Girl, that is such a great reminder. There are times I need that. Thanks for being honest - I have been there too with one (or all) of the kids.

Thinking of you and can't wait to catch up in person!

Short Stop said...

And you said you couldn't put these feelings into words?? I LOVED this and I LOVE the way you wrote it! :)

That precious little boy has one special Momma!

Jen said...

That was great. I have those days with the kids where it just seems like they try my patience and then I feel like all I did was scold them all day. Hoping today is a better day!

... said...

what a lovely analogy. i agree with sarah... quintin is one lucky boy because he has a pretty special mom. this desire to "let go and let God" will definitely help you through the teen years :]

Julieann said...

WOW!! That was beautfuly put! LOVE IT!

((Hugs))

Julieann

Christy said...

Oh, I am so there with you and more times than I care to admit!

Children are such a joy but they are also so difficult!
Thank God we have someone to give over our children to! Thank God we are not alone!!
I love this post and your honesty.

Ruth said...

Now THAT is hearing God!

Kelli said...

What a great way of looking at things!

Hugs,
Kelli

Lysa TerKeurst said...

Great post today! And the orange soap??? hmmm- I 'll have to try it next. Thanks~