January 1, 2008

Prayer For Strength and Wisdom

Grant me the strength from day to day
To bear what burdens come my way.
Grant me throughout this bright New Year
More to endure and less to fear.
Help me live that I may be
From spite and petty malice free.

Let me not bitterly complain
When cherished hopes of mine prove vain,
Or spoil with deeds of hate and rage
Some fair tomorrow's spotless page.
Lord, as the days shall come and go
In courage let me stronger grow.

Lord, as the New Year dawns today
Help me to put my faults away.
Let me be big in little things;
Grant me the joy which friendship brings.
Keep me from selfishness and spite;
Let me be wise in what is right.

A happy New Year! Grant that I
May bring no tear to any eye.
When this New Year in time shall end
Let it be said I've played the friend,
Have lived and loved and labored here,
And made of it a happy year.

--Edgar A. Guest

There is one hour left for me on Jan 1. I've had this poem in 'draft mode' for a few days and I've wanted to publish it. But, this new year has started like none other.

T's cousin is waiting in (or will soon be transfered to) a Philly hospital for a heart transplant - very sudden. And the husband, of T's sister's college roommate, is having open heart surgery at 9am Wed morning...both young men...both young fathers.

I know our God is a God of miracles and healing. What a heavy burden on these families right now. My prayer is for healing and strength - for them and their families. Healing of bodies and relationships. And, wisdom for their doctors.

I wish each of you a Happy New Year!


post signature

15 comments:

Tracy said...

What a great poem. I'm sending prayers heavenward for these two men and their families right now.

Ghost Girl (aka, Mary Ann) said...

Prayers on the way. Thanks for sharing the beautiful poem. It's so hard sometimes, but we can only trust in God's wisdom.

weavermom said...

wow, what an emotional start to the New Year. I'll be praying as well.

Loved the poem!

Ruth said...

Wow. Both of those situations are quite difficult. I pray all goes well in both of those families. The poem is wonderful. Thanks for sending it on!!

Susan said...

Oh my Leigh Ann. Standing in prayer with you on these two, as always!!!
Susan

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, we pray for skill and intelligence for the surgeons. May Godly wisdom flow through all who touch the lives of these families at this time. We do know God has a plan and a purpose and our trust is in Him. Keep speaking forth life and health...

Blessings to all of you my friend.

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

What a great prayer!

I will keep these two men in my prayers. Keep us updated!

MorningSong said...

Praying all will be well with these families!!! So sorry to hear about this!! I hope 2008 is full of health for your family and friends this year!!!!

Blessings!

Susan said...

Praying here too. Please update when you can. The poem is perfect.

:-) Susan

... said...

i will be praying for both surgeries.

that is such a neat poem. thanks for sharing it. i hope 2008 is a wonderful year for you and your family - full of love, hope, and joy.

Lori said...

I will pray for these two families.

Anonymous said...

It is so touching to think of all the families that are praying for my brother. The situation with the separation/custody battle only add to the unneeded stress. And this situation has not softened her heart any to say the least. It is scary and difficult waiting. Waiting to hear how long his heart will go on, wondering how long it will be until a donor heart becomes available, wondering if he will be stable enough to come home until a heart becomes available or if he will have to stay at the hospital. Wondering how he will handle the stress of the custody battle, there was a hearing scheduled for the end of the month, which has since been pushed back d/t the circumstances. Pray for my brother, but also for his wife, that she would have a changed heart through all of this.
Monica

Just Mom said...

Wonderful poem.

I said a prayer for them. Will keep praying.

Heidi Jo Comes said...

thinking of you leigh ann.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Oh Leigh Ann, I continue to pray for these men! I am sorry the timing "seems" so rough for Trav's cousin! I just read Habakkuh today and my favorite verse is there...Hab 3:17-18 and I cling to it when time is rough. Remember our strength and joy is in the Lord!