December 29, 2007

Tradition, tradition! Tradition!

"And how do we keep our balance? And that I can tell you in one word. Tradition!"

(If you want to hear more, click here. Its impossible for me to say or type tradition without that song popping in my head!)


Anyway...its hard to pass through this time of year without thinking about traditions - our own, our friends...so, I want to know your traditions regarding New Year's Day.

Tradition here, in PA dutch country, is to eat pork and sauerkraut for a good year. I wondered if that is a tradition anywhere other than here. So, spill it, what are your traditions? Inquiring minds want to know!! Feel free to even share recipes if you like!

Also, when the clock stricks midnight, does your town have something that drops? Like NY has a crystal ball dropping. North of us is a town that is known for bologna - guess what they drop? A bologna of course! Another town, near where my hubby went to college, has "dill" in its name and they drop a pickle (not real like the bologna though)! *LOL*

So, my curiosity got the best of me, and I just wondered if you would all share what your traditions are to bring in the new year.

As for New Year's Eve, we are just having another family over for some seafood - with our festivities ending around 10!! LOL!!

The new year will come in and I won't even know - unless I'm wakened again by some distant neighbor's fireworks!! :-)

post signature

28 comments:

Just Mom said...

I don't know if it's necessarily a tradition, but Just Family always seems to head to bed as soon as the clock strikes 12:01 a.m. New Year's Day. Maybe this year we'll break with tradition. Nah...I need my sleep.

Tracy said...

We eat pork and sauerkraut too. Maybe it's a Pennsylvania thing. Every New Year's Eve we stay home and play games all evening long. Until about 5 to midnight. Then we gather around the TV to watch the ball drop. Everyone gets kissed, then off to bed!

Anonymous said...

We used to party with our friends, but now that we are all old we seem to find the bed much earlier. This year we will get together with a few friends for games and food.

New Years day is spent with my extended family. We will have our second Christmas the day after with Lee and Alf along with my parents.

Our best NYE was spent with about 40 high school and college kids at our house bringing in the year 2000. It was incredible. Wow, I miss those times!

Annie said...

It's all about black eyed peas here. You have to have at least a spoonful even if you don't like them!
In OKC-bricktown they do a ball drop with lots of fireworks. We used to go every year and take our silly string... but now that the kids are older we don't make it there. It was fun though.
Happy New Year.

kdwhorses said...

Well, here in East Texas you must eat cabbage, black-eyed peas, cornbread and we eat ham with it. My husband and alot of others put dry black eyed peas in there pockets! We never go out for New Year's Eve, to dangerous. And I can not remember the last time I was actually awake at the new year!! I figure it is going to come whether I am awake or not and most of the times I would rather have my sleep!! We always have a New Year's Day Trail Ride with our church family, it is great fun and fellowship. Love hearing about your traditions and everyone else's! Hope you all have a great and safe New Year!!
God Bless,
Kris

... said...

how fun it is to hear the different traditions. unfortunately, i really don't have any to share.

we've done all kinds of different things throughout the years. the last couple we've watched movie(s) on the big screen until the clock strikes 12. nothing drops around here and we don't eat anything special. pretty boring, huh?

... said...

btw... love the new look. did you take the picture in steamboat springs? did you ski? they sure can get a lot of snow up there. i've only been there during the summer. beautiful place.

Tammy said...

Hmmm....we have never been big partiers so we either stay home or go to a nearby relative's to play games for a while. If we stay home, we always have to eat chips and dip and watch movies...then, whoever is awake bangs pots and pans by the front door! :)

Jen said...

Our town...(Ky) we do Cabbage and Black Eyed Peas.....I dont like Cabbage but hubby does. I do Turnip Greens too....the green is to give us $$$ in the New Year and the Peas good luck in the up coming year. We stay home and watch all the games and enjoy each other. For New Years Eve...we sometimes stay home and sometimes go out...this year we are going to dinner with friends at a Japanese Steakhouse....looking forward to this one.

Short Stop said...

Wait! Your town doesn't drop a hamball?? LOL!!!! :)

Well, I always fall asleep before midnight. I'm a big party pooper!

Ruth said...

It's tradition in our area to do the cabbage/black eyed pea thing. I, however, hate both, so we do neither! I might make a ham, but I can't claim I do that every year...a sort-of tradition. Most of us stay up until midnight, but that's about it. Pretty boring, huh?

Praise and Coffee said...

I love tradition!

The only thing that drops on New Years Eve around here is me at about 10PM!!!

Blessings,
Sue

Jane said...

no grand traditions, we like to stay in these days to avoid all the drunken drivers.

I do have a fun story.

In Dec 91, living in NE Ohio, I was going through a divorce....so a couple of friends rented a limo to take us to party. And party we did.
The next day I woke up in my apartment. (an old house in town that had been turned into two apartments. Mine was on the second floor.) Trying to sooth my major hangover, I went to the kitchen for tea and toast (don't miss those days at ALL!)
All I could smell was stuffed cabbage! Couldn't figure it out until SIX months later when the tenet below me told me about her new years tradition...stuffed cabbage with ground pork!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane for me. Helps me realize how far both Jack and I have come!

Oh...there was the time in Dec of '99 that my BIL thought he would be funny and cut the power to my parents house at 12:00:05(were we all were for fear of the millennium/computer scare.... thought we would be eating out of their freezer and canning room with the help of the grill!)

Kelli said...

Hmmm...we usually have friends over and eat and visit. I get those little rocket pops to shoot off at midnight. They make an awful mess and I always regret it the next day. ;0)
I don't have a traditional New Year's meal, I don't really like black eyed peas and I'm sick of turkey and ham! LOL I usually take down all the Christmas decorations and get things nice and tidy for the new year.
Hugs,
Kelli

Mary@notbefore7 said...

We usually gather with the sibilings at my moms and pig out - lobster, shrimp, dips...AND we play lots of games, of course.

BUT, three little ones...not sure it'll happen this year. Might do the party here.

One of my friends celebrated with the kids and did a countdown till noon with them. There were balloons in a big sheet on the ceiling and they released them - sounded fun!

We are thinking of starting a fondue tradition...yum! Might copy the picnic dinner idea and fondue from foxyfoxfamily.blogspot which she does for Christmas Eve :)

weavermom said...

We stay home where it is less likely that some crazy drunk person will kill us. Sad, isn't it? And yet... true. I just can't handle the thought of being out driving on New Year's Eve.

I would love to start a tradition of game night at my house! :)

And yet another reason I love Colorado is that we can ring in the new year in style with New York -- at 10:00. :)

Susan said...

My Mother is of Penn/Dutch heritage, so she always did the pork and sauerkraut...but I can't stand it. In the south, it's black-eyed peas and collard greens...I can't stand that more. So...we have NO food traditions other than NOT to eat those foods.

We usually spend it quietly at home and go to family's house on New Year's Day for football games.

Hugs,

Susan

Susan said...

Being married to a "Southerner" for almost 50 years our tradition is to eat Black Eyed Peas on New Year Day.

We are closing out our year by having 3 couples over for dinner New Years Eve but I'm sure our get together will probably end by 10!!!

I do look forward to the New Year and all that God holds for us.
Susan

Heidi Jo Comes said...

we stick close to home. we've yet to make many meaningful traditions...other than try very hard to actually stay up until midnight:0)

tonight we're having an italian feast...and just maybe it will become our tradition!

happy new year leigh ann~

MorningSong said...

We've always eaten cabbage and black eyed peas. The meat varies, or else I don't remember! :)

Happy New Year!

We watch NY ball drop, if we make it until midnight. :) Otherwise, nothing drops near us!

Christy said...

We feed the kids a fun meal complete with candles and then put them to bed at their usual time.
Then me and Clay watch movies and eat junk food until midnight and we go to bed!!!

Lori said...

Happy New Year!!
Not many traditions here.
We usually get together with some friends and have munchies and play games and stay up until midnight.
That's about it here.

Beach Girl said...

Our church gets together starting at 9 pm. We have a time of fellowship and food. We then spend time singing worship songs and then pray in the new year.

Here's to 2008!

Vanessa

Kerrie said...

Your tradition sounds yummy. =)

I told Nathan he could stay up as late as he'd like to tonight. He's been looking forward to 'that special day' for 5 days now. He'll probably be the last one to bed.

Myra said...

Ruth suggested that I stop by your blog. My husband is an associate pastor of music at our church. I'm new to blogging. I have another photo devotional page at

http://myra.lifewithChrist.org

Please stop by either page any time! I need some blogging buddies!

Tracy said...

No traditions here. We were actually in bed by 11pm last night. Yeah, we are BIG TIME PARTY PEOPLE!

:)

Lysa TerKeurst said...

Okay- I am a Southern gal so here it is all about collard greens, black eyed peas and cornbread (half fried, half baked in an iron skillet yes ma'am!)

For the best black eyed peas ever- sautee some chopped onion and garlic in a little olive oil. Add your fresh black eyed peas (from the produce section) and cover with chicken broth. Add a little Lawry's seasoned salt to taste and cook until yummy.
Then dip your cornbread in a bowl of these here peas and it will bless your heart!

Meg said...

would have loved to go downtown to see the rising of the rose, but with a really little one, we opted out this year and watch a movie with Audrey falling asleep half way through (party pooper). Growing up we used to go to my cousin's and play games then have silly string at midnight. Those were fun times!