September 4, 2007

What a weekend!

I hope everyone had a great weekend - It feels like forever since I've visited everyone.

We had planned to leave Friday late afternoon/evening to head to my in-law's cabin for the weekend. Our plans kept changing and I soon didn't know which end was up. We finally left Saturday morning. We had planned to leave at 6:30 and I think that is about when we finally woke up!

It was about a 3 hour drive and we did stop for some breakfast Saturday morning. We arrived just before lunch. It was T's parents, T's brother and wife and their 4 children, T's oldest sister and husband and 3 of their children, T's other sister and her hubby and 5 children. Their cabin is in north-central PA and we were about 10 miles away from the NY line. It was a beautiful weekend to be up and I hope to share pictures soon.

T and Quintin went fishing several times, Quintin played tag in the woods with his cousins and dipped around in the creek behind the cabin. Elle and Colin missed out on some fun times, but they will enjoy it in a few years - naps are still a must for them (and momma!)

We came home Sunday evening and it was wonderful to sleep at home. Monday we worked to get some things done around the house - clean the very dirty truck, mow lawn, unpack and do laundry. We then had a picnic with my family - my parents, my brother, his wife and 2 children and my sister, her husband and their son.

T had to head out around 9:30 last night to drive truck to NJ. He usually gets home around 3, but this morning he came in around 6. He runs with another truck and the other truck ran out of fuel. T would only have been coming home to go to bed, but the other driver had to make another run - so T waited at the truck until a mechanic could come with fuel so he could drive home.

Almost an hour later, my niece and nephew came for the day. They start school tomorrow and my sister-in-law teaches at another school that started last week.

For some reason, I'm not able to babysit without turning it into a PE class. My nephew, who is 8, learned to shoot bow and arrow, cast with a fishing pole and my niece, 5, was working at riding her bike without training wheels.

My nephew and I also made gooey gunk. I want to make it with Quintin some time this week, so we'll post the recipe as well as pictures later.

We attempted to make our own bow and arrow following the directions in The Dangerous Book for Boys, but we couldn't find a good stick that would bend - everything kept breaking. Then I remembered I had thin elastic string and we used that to make a bow and arrow. The bow and arrow that my nephew used was given to us by T's brother. Quintin likes to play with it, but he is so much more excited about using the one we made. What a day!

I had hoped to do some school time with the children yesterday, but now I'm two days behind - oh well, I think with everything the children did these past 4 days, any attempt at school would have been wasted. I know they learned all kinds of new things being with their cousins these past few days. I wouldn't trade that time in for anything!! Having no cousins growing up, I feel we are tremendously blessed with 13 cousins on one side and 3 on the other!!

post signature

19 comments:

Pen of Jen said...

I agree and can't wait for photos! Well how exciting for the kids to have so many cousins nearby and to vacation with!!

PS We love the Dangerous book for boys!!!!!

Scrappy Moments said...

Sounds like a really fun weekend :)Can't wait to see your pictures :)

... said...

glad you had such a good weekend.

one of the things i hear and like about homeschooling is that learning doesn't mean sitting at a desk and learning reading, writing, and arithmetic. it's learning how to learn and learning about the world at large. good job, ms. teacher ;)

Anonymous said...

What an awesome time! My kids grew up loving time with their cousins and have some great memories. It's sad that they all went different ways as they got older.

You sound like one of those aunties that every kid wants :)

Christy. said...

Sounds like fun, but busy! My kids got to spend some time with their cousins this weekend too, isn't it sweet to watch them?
My girls started school today, crazy!!

Susan said...

Learning is a continual process and I think you do a wonderful job of that day in and day out!
Susan

Jane said...

were you any where close to Kinzoo (sp??). We used to drive over there to go boating when I was in my early 20's. It is SOOOO pretty in those parts. Not many people with a bunch of green hills/mountains.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

I have such wonderful memories of my 11 cousins and we are still close because of family vacations! That is SO important and I am so glad you all were able to have that.

That is the beauty of homeschooling, isn't it? You can learn about so much more that what is in the curriculum! What a fabulous teacher, mom and aunt you were this weekend :)

Ruth said...

You DID have an active weekend! It sounds like it was fun but exhausting!! I can't wait to see pictures either.

Unknown said...

It sounds like a very fun *and* educational weekend. Cousins are so much fun, I had lots of good times with mine!
I'm so glad that you like our new magazine, thank you for the sweet comment!
Hugs,
Kelli

Kelli said...

Opps..that was me up above!

Tracy said...

Sounds like you had a busy weekend! And loads of fun too. Don't worry about school. I'm sure that you really aren't behind.Have fun!

Anonymous said...

What a nice fun weekend! Good for the *soul* kinda family days!

Melissa Stover said...

how wonderful to have so many ready playmates, especially cousins. what a blessing for your family.

Anonymous said...

Hey Leigh Ann,
I just had to comment about what a fun aunt you must be!! I'm sure the kids have a great time visiting Aunt Leigh Ann!!

Have a great day!

Jill said...

I was thinking as I read about your weekend how great it is that you have so many cousins and family members so close by. I grew up with none close at all and now we live 1,000 miles from my mom. We went to visit them over Labor Day and so many times things happened that cause me to wish we lived closer.

Anna said...

There's nothing like sleeping in your own bed after a trip!

Tracy said...

WOWZA! You had a super busy weekend. Sounds like you got alot done. Bow and arrows?!?! FUN!! Can I come???

Lori said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Labor Day weekend.

I bet your get away with family was a lot of fun.

Can't wait to see the pictures.