February 21, 2011

A Weekend to Remember

We had cabin fever.  And I'm not talking about the kind where you feel stuck inside and want to get out.  I'm talking about the kind where you feel like you are too busy and want to get away for a weekend - to a cabin in the mountains!

Just the 5 of us headed up this weekend and had a wonderful time.  We played tons of Battleship. This was a new game for our kids, as evidenced by their excitement shouting, "You sunk my battledroid!"  And, "Want to play battleboat?"

Having heard great things from some fellow friends/bloggers, we added Qwirkle to our personal game stash and had a great time learning how to play it

We went to the used bookstore.  And we even attempted to try out the toboggan slide in nearby Eagles Mere, but it was closed. :(



But we found the next best thing, sledding down the driveway!

I do believe this first one is my favorite!!  BAH hahaha


No, this one is my favorite!


But, the most memorable thing about the weekend was the we lost our electricity!  Saturday afternoon, everyone was resting and I was reading a book (Michale Oher's "I Beat the Odds" - very good book, by the way) and the lights flickered and then went totally out.  T called the electric company and we just started playing games while we still had the daylight.  As it got closer to supper time, I saw no point to eat by candlelight (the cabin has a gas oven, so we could have technically cooked supper, but....)  So we headed out to grab a bite to eat. 

As we drove down the driveway we noticed the lights were still out.  We got into the cabin and T began lighting the candles we had set on the kitchen counter - when the electric came back on!  YAY!  We watched a movie and played more games.  We were just starting Sequence when the lights went off again - but it was just about bedtime so we all went to bed.  The lights flickered on and off a few times during the night, but were on, and stayed on for the remainder of our stay!  We know the kids won't forget this trip!
post signature

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful get away to the cabin!! What great family memories that you made.
Sorry your electricity kept going out: but sounds like you were troopers and had fun through it all.

Sylvia said...

All sounds like enormous fun and you certainly won't forget it as a family. It's so often that sort of inconvenience that we remember years after. PIctures are great as well.

Anonymous said...

Did you have heat? I can't imagine being there in the cold unless the power went off and on enough for you to keep the cabin warm.

We've had enough winter times without power and it's no fun. Glad you guys survived and had a fun weekend.

angie128 said...

Oh what fun!

Definitely making some memories.

(Michael Oher is from Memphis!!)

Mari said...

Sounds like a perfect get away!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

that was a driveway? yikes!

what a fantastic weekend....sounds so memorable and simple. i love that.

Tracy said...

Sounds like an amazing getaway to me!!!!

Just Mom said...

BAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....


Sorry. Everytime I see that photo, I can't help but laugh.

You know I'm laughing with you, right? ;-D