February 8, 2011

I love puzzles!

And the trickier the better.

This one has been a favorite since finding it in a fun, little store in the Outer Banks last August.

Tantrix.

10 puzzle pieces - each one is numbered on the back (1-10).  And the numbers are different colors.

Start with pieces 1-3 and build a yellow loop.  Why yellow?  Because the highest piece (#3) is yellow.  As you form the loops, you add the next numbered piece and make a loop the same color as the # on back and so on...

#7, below is red.  Our next step would be to take the puzzle apart, add piece #8 - which is blue, and form a blue loop.


But there is another trick.  Once you form your main colored loop, the other 2 colors must also match up.  We're still struggling with the one below - we got our main yellow loop, but the red and blue pieces aren't lining up.



We enjoy it so much, we have 2 sets.  Not only do we enjoy racing each other, you can add the second set in using #1 as #11!



Any puzzles/games your family enjoys?
post signature

6 comments:

Mari said...

We have that too - I love puzzle games!

Just Mom said...

And they look like they make great coasters! ;-D


Just kidding.


We just bought Qwirkle for JS for his birthday. We haven't played it yet, but are looking forward to it. :-D

Karenkool said...

Bananagrams and Apples to Apples. I like your game thought. I want to find that.

Karenkool said...

*though

Anonymous said...

I'm confused. It probably has nothing to do with this post though, LOL

I'm not big into any games. I used to play Scrabble now and then. Now I've sunk to an all time low with Angry birds and Paper throw. I know, it's pathetic.

Played a lot of Boggle when Jen was little and Racko and Yatzee were my all time favs.

angie128 said...

Oh that looks fun - must check it out.

We love games. We got Qwirkle for Christmas and have enjoyed that a lot.

Also the card games Blink and Ruckus.

Plus Catchphrase Jr.