...or stone dust.
Each month our church's Sunday bulletin includes the Focus on the Family Bulletin insert. One of the story's from this past weekend, really hit home for me.
Welcoming the MudThis morning, as I walked across the kitchen floor, I felt bits of dirt under my bare feet. I looked down and the light grey clumps of dirt confirmed that my hubby had walked across the kitchen floor, with his boots on this morning, rather than heading out through the garage.
"A farmer's wife once spent the day cooking to surprise her husband with his favorite meal. With her friend's help, she scrubbed the kitchen till it shined and donned a new dress. Candlelight flickered from tall tapers on the table.
Her husband tramped in, weary from a hard day in the fields. Large clumps of mud fell from his boots onto the freshly mopped floor as he crossed to the sink before removing the boots.
Ready to leave, the friend turned to the wife and whispered in disgust, "Ugh! Look at all that mud!"
The wife smiled. "Yes, his boots bring the mud in, but they bring him in, too." -Cindy Sigler Dagnan
It might be easy to angry or agitated, but I had to think back to this story. I welcome the compacted little bits of stone dust, knowing that my husband was home all night and headed off to work planning to see us again, at suppertime.
Yes, his boots bring in the stone dust, but they bring him in, too!

8 comments:
Amen! I can always tell when Ben forgets something on his way out in the morning and has to run back in the house...with his boots on...I'm thankful that he has an AWESOME company to work for and that he is healthy and able to work and provide for his family. A little dirt never hurt anyone! :) Thanks for reminiding me LeighAnn!
Aww!! Good reminder not to sweat the "small" stuff and be grateful for the blessings in our lives!
Oh Leigh Ann! I loved that...brought tears to my eyes! So very true and with such GREAT perspective!!!
What a great story and reminder! We get those in our bulletin too, but I must have missed that one.
I'll never forget how my grandmother used to complain about my grandpa shaving and all the whiskers left in the sink. When I got married she reminded me to never care about the whiskers. Dave leaves them in the sink every single day and I've never once said a work. I'm thankful each day that he is here with me and shaving his face, whiskers and all!
Thanks for sharing this story and your love for T. I loved this!!!
What a great reminder that perspective can be everything at times.
And thanks, Ginger, for bringing this story up close and personal to my house. My hubby doesn't bring mud or stone dust in, but those whiskers on the sink that are impossible to clean.... :)
Thanks for the story. I love your attitude!
OK. So maybe the husband gets off the hook with tracking in the dirt--but what about the kids????
Post a Comment