December 30, 2009

Christmas JOY, pt 3

The kids take turns saying a memorized prayer before each meal.  What started out as an attempt to let our kids say their own thoughts for prayers, turned into a memorized prayer they each say.  Every now and then someone will change the prayer a little, like adding in "Help Colin not to be grumpy," and so on.  I'm setting a goal for the new year to learn a new prayer as a family to say at our evening meal, together.  And that it will grow in our hearts and become something we live out.

Here's the prayer from the back of Quintin's first Bible; a Precious Moments Bible given to him by my paternal grandmother, who passed away when I was pregnant with Elle.
Dear God, thank You for loving me.
Thank You for this day
and the beautiful world I live in.
Thank You for family and friends
to play and share with.
Thank You for my home -
for clothes, food and a safe
place to be.
Thank You for my church
and for those who are teaching me.
Dear God, help me to do what You
want me to do.
Forgive me when I do wrong things -
when I hurt myself and those around me.
Forgive me when I hurt You.
Make me want to be the very best that I can be.
In Jesus' name, I pray.  Amen.
post signature

5 comments:

Susan said...

Learning to talk and hear from God. What a wonderful thing!!!
Susan

Anonymous said...

They will remember this forever!

Just Mom said...

I love that prayer. Very beautiful.









.... and yes, Josh Groban is quite the gift. ;-D

Lynn said...

I really like this prayer. Thanks for sharing.

... said...

that's a beautiful prayer. when my kids were young, they would much rather just communicate their immediate thoughts instead of having to memorize something. memorization=yuck =)