December 19, 2008

Welcome...come on in!

Many of you know that I was participating in a DIY Challenge to make as many Christmas gifts as possible under $50, which I'll share the final projects next week. While working on those, we had some home projects going on at the same time.

I'm very excited to tell you that our home projects have been completed (but I still have several sewing projects to finish up) and that we have Christmas tree standing in our family room. Also, I'm happy to tell you I found my Christmas spirit!! My kids were a huge part of how I found it. Decorating the tree with them last night helped me to rediscover that joy. I wasn't sure if Colin was at a good age or not, but we started out talking about their own ornaments they get at Christmas and I showed them how to carefully open, unpack and take care of their ornaments. Mine have lasted a long time and I hope theirs do too. Colin jumped right in to helping and it was such a joy to decorate with them!

So, with no further ado, come on inside, warm up from the cold, and let me show you around. Included in this tour will be some before photos as well, so you don't have to try to remember what my house look liked! ;-)

Please, come in! It's cold outside and the rain...yuck!
Here's some cocoa to warm you up!
And a cookie! (Ok, so they aren't fresh baked out of my oven, and I found this picture on my computer taken in July of '07 - but hey, that's the beauty of a virtual tour!)
You may remember I lost something in here?
Yes, it was my Christmas spirit.
We're still working at getting the room straightened up. But it is much better. In this room, we have Quintin's nativity he crafted in co-op last year, on display. Just look - don't touch - he's pretty particular about his handiwork. And what artist, isn't?


The photo below, was taken a few weeks ago. This is how our playroom looked. We needed to move EVERYTHING out of it which is why the living room looked ridiculously a little bit cluttered.
Let me take you into our playroom. We are still working on organizing what will work best for homeschooling. I almost feel a little overwhelmed with the space - but give me time!!
Aaaaahhhh - storage!! Let's zoom in on those top shelves, shall we?
Can you spot Charlie? Our elf from the North Pole!?!?
Just a few Christmas decorations to make the playroom more festive! After taking the above pictures, the kids and I decided to add their nativity to the shelves in the playroom. This advent nativity is a highlight for the kids! This year, instead of hiding Baby Jesus for the children to find Christmas morning, I'm going to wrap him up and give it to them to open after we sing Happy Birthday Jesus. Because I want them to know that He is the best present we all receive this Christmas!
And, let's leave the playroom and head into the family room. I LOVE these two rooms being side-by-side and just a few short steps from the kitchen. The playroom, family room and kitchen are along the entire back of our house! I LOVE it! Kudos to whoever thunk that up...HA! (Hey, after 2 weeks of chaos I deserve a little pat on the back, right?)

Sorry to throw this picture at you. I couldn't find my before pictures of my family room. This is the only picture I could find, but, if you look past the bunny and over the soldier's shoulder, you'll see vinyl flooring along the wall and a black cabinet. We treated that area of our family room as a hallway. The room was smaller and had brown carpet as seen in yesterday's post. (I'll spare you having to scroll down)
While the "grands" were here for Elle's birthday, we suckered them into moving our furniture - no cake unless you agree to help work! HA!
Ok, sorry for all the history there on our room. I tend to babble, just stop me if it gets to be too much. Don't worry about being nice, I can take it. My husband has hung up on me because I .... oh, goodness, excuse me, there I go again.
Remember the hallway with the vinyl? We removed the vinyl and re-carpeted the entire room after our cabinets were installed.
From the left, the two santa stockings were made by T's mom. I made the third one for T about 10 years ago. I started working on an angel stocking for myself at the same time...and well, yeah, it's one of the many UFOs in my house (un-finished objects). T's mom made the angel stocking for Elle. She liked my idea so much. She's made them for all the grandchildren in the family. Have I mentioned there are 17 grandchildren? Before making them for my children, she asked if I would prefer to make them...um, let's see. I made one in 10 years and you've made 14 in a matter of a few months...yeah, why don't you go ahead and make some for my kids! LOL!!! They are beautiful, and one day, there will be another angel alongside Elle's.
This is our first artificial tree. It's 9 feet tall. It only can fit in this room - hence the reason I had to wait so long to put it up. I did purchase it at 50% off after Christmas last year! And I think it is the most beautiful tree ever...and that isn't just because I didn't have to string it with lights!
Please step a little closer so you can see all the things on my shelves. Just be careful, the paint was touched-up yesterday.
My favorite piece to put out this year is this:
T bought the basic nativity part of it for me for Christmas last year. To my surprise, one of the stores in our quaint little town had the rest of the pieces at 50% off the day after Christmas! Score!! I love it!!
Here, you may leave through the kitchen door. Next time you stop by, please use this door instead of the formal front door. I know, you didn't know, but now you do! You are a friend, and like the sign at my mother in law's says, "Backdoor friends are best!"

Thanks for stopping by. I'm going to grab a pepsi and crash on the couch with the kids now! :-)

Praising God this Christmas for all that He has done and for sending us the greatest Gift,
His one and only Son!
post signature

21 comments:

Shirley said...

Gorgeous!

Momma Roar said...

My goal in doing this post was to participate in BooMama's Holiday Home Tour. But I missed it by just a few minutes when I published it. Oh well!

Tracy said...

Everything looks great LA!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

weavermom said...

Leigh Ann!! It's fantastic! Beautiful, and I can only imagine how you feel about all that storage! :)

Renee said...

Thanks for your Christmas Home tour! It's simply beautiful. And I just heart your cabinets/shelves. Were they customs made or build it yourself? I REALLY need something like that in my home for some organization!

Stay “dry” this weekend 

Jill said...

Everything looks so nice! Your tree is beautiful and I love the nativity - esp since you SCORED on the rest of the pieces! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Tracy said...

Leigh Ann,

Your home is gorgeous! I'm so glad that you found your Christmas spirit, and I'm even more glad that your kids helped you find it. Can I come live with you?

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Leigh Ann... your house is SO gorgeous... I need to start reading your blog EVERY day so I can be inspired to be half the mom you are!!

Susan said...

What a wonderful, fun post. I love the nativity scenes, both Q's & yours!!!!! Everything is fantastic. I know what you mean about the back door. The home we sold, when Mickey retires, had a back entrance where the drive way curved around and if anyone ever rang the front doorbell we knew it was a stranger, not a friend. Glad I get to come to your back door :o)
Susan

Meg said...

Oh the family room seems to have doubled in size, and I LOVE the storage in the playroom!! Good job, can't wait to see it in person!

Just Mom said...

"I tend to babble, just stop me if it gets to be too much."

BAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *snort* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...


;-D

Everything looks lovely, LA, and I love the re-do. (I love that nativity set, too).

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! So glad it's all finished and you can begin to enjoy it all.

You've done a great job of making a wonderful home.

Monica said...

the cabinets are gor-geous! And you already know I love your house! Who did your cabinets/shelves?

Anonymous said...

It all looks beautiful!

Lori said...

Beautiful! Love all your Christmas decor.
Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Andrea said...

Awwww....I feel so holiday warm and welcome! Good job on pulling it all together this season (I have NOT)!
Andrea

... said...

your house is beautiful, LA. so is the tree. and i love the cabinets. i'm sure you do, too.

thanks for the tour. next time i'll come in through the back door =)

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

I love your decorations and your tree...it is gorgeous!

Your fireplace is amazing!

Vanessa Cole said...

Merry Christmas!

Great pictures. :-)

I'm back in Blogland with a new blog that fits me where I am now in my life. Please stop by if you get a chance.

You will find me at "In Search Of."

Vanessa

michelle said...

I LOVE your nativity scene!! I am shopping for a new one too but don't have many options this side. Sigh!

Lynn said...

Thanks for the lovely house tour. Okay, am I the only one who is going to comment on the "there will be another angel stocking next to Elle's someday" comment?!? Any news you want to share with us?!?