December 31, 2008

DIY Christmas

Here it is, the final post of my hand-made gifts and my total spent.

Tote bag made with materials on hand - cost: $0.00
Purse made with same fabrics as above - cost: $1.27 (zipper for interior pocket)
Apron made with materials on hand - cost: $.89 (purchased d-ring for neck strap)
Child's apron - cost: $0.00

Braided trivet/hot pad - cost $0.00
Knit dishcloth (this isn't the one I gave, I had forgotten to snap a picture) - cost $0.00
Child's apron - cost $0.00
Wall hanging - cost: $4.30 (needed to purchase coordinating fabric)
2 ties and matching wrap skirt - cost $10.37
Diaper bag for Elle's doll - cost $0.00
Vegetable Spice Mix packets for 5 Sunday school teachers (recipe here) - cost $13.06 (extra spices and bags - made cards on cardstock I had)
Jumper for Elle made from Trick or Treat coat fabric - estimated cost $1.50 (I need to purchase buttons for shoulder straps)
Made with purchased notepads - removed the cover, cut out cereal boxes, traced, hole-punched and re-wired - cost $13.78
Vest to match his brother's from Trick or Treat - cost $0.00
Handbag donated to hubby's work Christmas banquet - cost $0.00
Two small blankets donated to Project Linus (this was something my "team" with the Challenge did - we felt we can bless our family and friends with our gifts but how much better, to bless those in need. We each chose an organization to donate to - you can read more here). What a wonderful opportunity to be able to make and donate projects with materials that I just had in my home and were not being put to use - cost $0.00
This was my biggest project in terms of time, but not size. These ice skates (idea here) - cost $2.68
I made 9 for my family (including parents, siblings/spouses and nephews/niece). Then, I made 28 for T's family (10 adults, 17 grandchildren, 1 great-grand). I think they are adorable. In year's past, the kids and I made the glass ball ornaments you see on the above picture on the top right, but this year I wanted to make something for everyone. Here's a picture of the ones for T's family just after I finished them the night before we needed them.
I LOVED this challenge. It was exactly the motivation I needed to finish all the projects I had swimming around in my head since early November, plus some! Even though I wasn't a "winner" in terms of winning any of the prizes YCMT randomly chose winners for - I was a winner for completing, at final tally,
67 gifts for $47.85
The idea of the competition was not to make every gift, but to see how many gifts we could make for under $50.

And, a final surprise gift for me?

I won a $50 pattern bundle from You Can Make This from a different website! Cool - I got a return on my investment!

It was such a joy, for me, to see the faces of my friends and family as they opened their handmade gifts. At T's parents' house, we used the ice skates on the table for seating and they all loved them. I think I got the biggest gift of all...as the giver!!

post signature

24 comments:

Tracy said...

WOW!!! Leigh Ann, You are an inspiration. TRULY! That's amazing how far your money went, and the gifts are truly top quality. Great job!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

honestly, i kid you much, but you amaze me. i can't think of a more meaningful gift then one made by someone who loves you! great job.

Tropical Mexican said...

Those are awesome.

My Favorites are the ties, the notebooks, and the aprons.

The ice skates are just adorable though, they might be my favorite too.

Oh what the heck, there all my Favorites.

Susan said...

What a wonderful challenge and accomplishment. Thanks for showing them all to us.
Susan

Humble wife said...

Leigh Ann- I love love love the skates! Great job.
Jennifer

Tracy said...

GREAT job, love the purses!

Tammy said...

This is truly inspirational, Leigh Ann! Wow...

I'm not very crafty and know nothing about sewing, but I did challenge myself to make my two little girls a no-sew fleece this year and I was so glad I did!

But all the things you made...and the little amount you spent is just super! Good job!!!

... said...

i'm sure your gifts were very meaningful for and loved by all your family and friends. and they're all so beautiful.

i love the notebooks. i've never seen anything like that before. very cool. i would think it would be difficult to rewire. they're spiral notebooks, right?

Anonymous said...

Very, very amazing!

Renee said...

Well done my friend, well done!

I love the skates :-)

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

You are totally amazing and so are the gifts that you made. I love the matching ties and skirt...totally cute!

Lynn said...

If I start NOW I might be able to come up with half that many ideas and complete half that many projects by Christmas '09...

You're amazing! Great work!

Just Mom said...

:-O

No wonder you were hardly available to chat.

Nice work, LA.

weavermom said...

I'm amazed. You did a fantastic job!!

Did school happen while you were doing all that? *wink

michelle said...

Just amazing!!! Not sure what else to say...I am seriously speechless by your amazing self!

Christy. said...

What awesome presents! Congrats on using your talents to bless someone's Christmas!

Lori said...

That is awesome LeighAnn. I love each and every gift. You are so talented.

Anonymous said...

You did great!!! I'm very proud of you. I did not get my aprons or dish towel/pot holder sets done this year.

My 9 year old did get 10 pillows made. She did tremendous! So, I am going to start my this year ideas this summer and have them done before Thanksgiving, so they can go out early next year. See, I have planning skills. ;)

Susan said...

You have simply amazed me with this whole thing. I am SO NOT that creative. I used to do so much more...but now I just don't have/make time.

You're a blessing, Leigh Ann!

Have a happy happy new year.

:-) Susan

Tracy said...

Great job LA! You are so darn creative and it looks like you worked hard.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Vanessa Cole said...

Thank you for sharing all that-they're all great!

The holidays are over;
January is here.
Just stopping in
To wish you A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Vanessa

Jenileigh said...

Wow, how creative! What wonderful ideas! Hugs and thank-you so very much, for stopping by my place. It meant the world to me! :)

the voice of melody said...

Great job! Love all the cute aprons especially. :)

Short Stop said...

And, you thought I was amazing for baking cookies. That was CAKE compared to this.

Truly, truly amazing in every way. I can't even pick a favorite. Just awesome.