March 7, 2008

Show & Tell - My first sewing machine

Welcome to “Show and Tell Friday!” Do you have something special to share with us? It could be a trinket from grade school, a piece of jewelry, or a treasured collection. Look around your home for something to share; dig through those boxes in your closet if you have to! Share photos and the story that goes with your special item. Visit Kelli's, to see more!



In January of 1967, my parents celebrated their first wedding anniversary. This is what they purchased for my mom.

A Belvedere Adler sewing machine. It was refurbished when they bought it, so we don't know what year it is.

My mom used this to make us clothing, to sew curtains, bedspreads and quilts. She used it up until about 6 years ago when she passed it along to me. She received one of her mother's sewing machines and gave this one to me to learn on.






If you look just under the cabinet, next to the right front leg, you'll see the "foot control" or knee control. I really enjoyed having the knee control as opposed to a control on the floor. If I did any sewing while the kids were awake, I could walk away and not worry about them...because they could never figure out how I made the sewing machine go!!

The basket underneath is holding some material for my next project: a blanket

I had taken sewing classes in Junior High Home Ec and I often fiddled with it making things while at home - when mom wasn't working on something. But 6 years ago, I was pregnant with my first child and I was determined to make this baby something!



I made little tag blankets. Quintin (nor the others) never played with them...but I did give some as baby gifts and everyone else's children liked them. It wasn't until I had a daughter that I wanted to do some clothing. I made Elle one outfit last year and I want to try my hand at some more things this year.




I did a lot with that sewing machine - including putting button holes on Elle's outfit, the old way - that was a difficult task - and now, that they have sewing machines that do them for you.

We're in the market for a new machine, so if you sew and I haven't already emailed you asking what you are currently sewing with, leave me a comment, please!!

Here's a better look at the fabrics for my next project.
Thanks for stopping by to see my show and tell, and don't forget to visit Kelli's blog to see more Show & Tell's! Thanks for hosting this Kelli!

post signature

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your sewing machine and cabinet are lovely. My mother had one like that.

Have a blessed weekend,

Gina

I'm sorry to put my url here but it doesn't work in the name/url box

http://www.simplyheartandhome.com/

Hootin Anni said...

It's great that you received the special sewing machine from your mom's past. It's now a priceless heirloom. Maybe some day you can pass it down to the next generation.

My Show n Tell is quite eclectic, if you haven't dropped by yet, do so. I hope to have you visit.

Happy weekend.

Heidi Jo Comes said...

ooooo, a sewer! i am so ashamed. i have NO IDEA HOW TO SEW. NONE WHATSOEVER.

love the fabrics for your next project...a quilt to be given away on your blog?

Short Stop said...

WOW...that's really cool.

I LOVE Elle's outfit and the new fabrics for your next project.

And, I like the topiary, too. LOL!

Susan said...

Nice show and tell and I love the fabrics you have waiting! I used to sew a lot of my girls clothes and sewed all my maternity clothes for child #4 but don't do sewing any more.
Susan

... said...

i wish i knew how to sew. i took a class in elementary school and my project turned out terrible. since my mom didn't sew, i had no other influence that way.

elle looks cute in her outfit and i love the fabrics you have for future projects. thanks for sharing.

Char said...

Thank you for sharing. I also don't know how to sew even though I have 2 sewing machines lol. Have a great day.

Constance said...

I haven't sewn anything for a few years! I made some lovely little "Laura Ashley" jumpsuits for my girlies when they were younger. Now, my youngest daughter is thinking of majoring in fashion design since she loves to sew as well. We bought her a Singer for Christmas a couple of years ago so she could have her own. I use a WHITE that I bought at Jo-Ann's fabrics a long time ago!
Connie

Heather K said...

Hi Leigh Ann
thought I'd leave a comment for a change....I've been reading from bloglines but not commenting for quite awhile..
anyway...I love your fabric colours! They're gorgeous!! I've been missing the "foot" since our move almost two yrs ago. So you've inspired me...I'm going to head out today and get a new one! I've checked into it and they're only about $30. Well happy sewing my dear! I've missed chatting back and forth..not that we've done a ton...but I've not been chatting with anyone...so I miss all of you!

Heather K said...

my comment is confusing now that it's posted and I've actually read the whole thing! sorry

*the foot to my sewing machine has been missing*

cherished*vintage said...

Hi Leigh Ann! The cabinet that the sewing machine is beautiful! I really love to sew. The fabrics you have chosen for your next project are pretty too.
-Karoline

Myrna said...

If you do get a new machine I suggest you hold on to the old one. It is a beauty!

I don't sew much. I did some back in the day and keep saying I'm going to do some curtains and other projects. I just haven't made time for it yet. I have a very basic White machine now. It's OK, but not great.

I also have my mother's Kenmore. It was new in the early 50's. Now, there's a woman who could sew! She only had this machine a couple of years before she passed away. I was able to get it just a few years ago and love having it. The cabinet is still in good condition. I'll have to do a Show and Tell on it sometime soon!;-)

Tara O said...

I have a Brother Sewing machine. I got it at Wal-Mart 8 years ago. I sew on scrapbook pages though...ROTFLOL. I hate to sew clothing. I can...just don't like to.

Anonymous said...

I used to sew quite a bit but haven't in a while and would like to get back to it. I love the cabinet -- mine is just on a desk. I had wondered how the knee controls felt. Love the fabrics in your last picture!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Oh...loving those fabrics girl! can't wait to see it.

K wants to learn to sew...I'll send her to you :)

Anonymous said...

I used to sew, maternity clothes (a couple of things) and cute things for the girls when they were little. Now the whole idea gives me nightmares. I have no desire at all, but when I see the neat stuff other people make I wonder why I ever quit.

Have fun and look forward to seeing more of your crafts.

JEWELGIRL said...

Sewing was something I
didn't do well. My
bobbins always ended
up in knots. I am still
sewing challenged.
You did well.

Just Mom said...

You're sew talented.





i can see you rolling your eyes at me.





;-D

Jean said...

My mom's old Singer had a knee control and I just loved it! The machine I'm using now is a Pfaff, and I really like it. However, I am going to look up my nephew's website for you. He owns a sewing machine sales and repair store in Minnesota. His website is VERY informative. I'll get back to you on that.

michelle said...

What am I sewing with? Does glue count. :-)

Sooo wish I was a sewer but I can't sew a stitch.:-(

Short Stop said...

BAGL at JM's comment.

:)

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to see your machine. My Mother had a Kenmore that was in a similar cabinet. I learned to sew on her machine and had the most difficult time adjusting to a foot pedal after using the knee pedal. I don't understand why they don't make them anymore.
Your daughters outfit is adorable. She looks very proud of her clothes!
Cookie

weavermom said...

I love the old sewing machines!

Anonymous said...

How nice that you have your moms sewing machine.

I use to sew a lot, when my older children were young.

Now, its not often. I keep telling myself I am going to. Time! where is the time :)

I love ella's outfit.

Tracy said...

Me?

Sewing machine??


HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA!

Susan said...

Leigh Ann,

I don't sew, but my Mother does. We bought her a HUSQVARNA VIKING® and she loves it. I know it's a bit more expensive, but it was worth every penny.

Susan

Kelli said...

What a beautiful sewing machine! It sounds like it has been put to good use all these years. I really need a new machine too, so you'll have to tell me which one you end up getting. :0)
Hugs,
Kelli

Sandy said...

I have tagged you :-)

Andrea said...

I am so envious that you have time to sew! I would love to if I could, but time gets shorter with each child we have and I'm not good enough to punch something out quickly. I made a maternity dress when I was expecting my 1st - it made me look more like a whale than I already did! *snortchucklesnort* Maybe when the kids get a little older, I can get back into my machines - I would love to teach the kids (not just dd - the boys too)!
Your fabrics look nice! The machine is a real treasure - 'sew' nice!
Andrea