March 13, 2008

Little imitators

The other day, I was playing on the floor with Elle and Colin. Blocks were being stacked for the purpose of being knocked over - much to the delight of little Colin. Elle was pleased to be bringing him so much joy and I just enjoyed watching them interact.

There was a pillow nearby and I picked it up and starting bopping each of them on the head, which of course brought more squeals of delight!!

I dropped the pillow to let the kids play along. Elle joined right in, picking up the pillow and bopping Colin and me on the head. But, little Colin, he picked up a wooden block and started bopping me - OUCH! I quickly removed the block (to remove the pain) and gave him a stuffed animal.

As they sat there giggling, I knew that Colin didn't know it would hurt...he imitated our action, just not our choice of objects.

I think we do this too - at least I know I do it. I imitate. I imitate another's actions, but not with the same motives or intent...I imitate without the same conviction.

I've read books before where I feel I need to "imitate" the author's actions because I believe they are what I should do as a Christian. Or, I look at people who have been Christians longer or are in a position of authority and I think if I do what they are doing, then I'm doing right.

Imitating actions...but not with the same conviction.

Do you ever feel as if life is like a staircase? With each step up, we grow more in our understanding of God's holiness, His grace and His calling for our lives. Sometimes we have to go back to a step because we missed something, we need to relearn it or we have to discover a way to apply it to our new phase in life.

My current step? Looking to God's Word as the ultimate source for my answers to those nagging questions - those questions about what to imitate and what not to...what are my convictions? Rather than looking to say, the most popular christian book on the subject, I want to go the "tried and true road" as The Message states.

Jeremiah 6:16 "Go stand at the crossroads and look around. Ask for directions to the old road, The tried-and-true road. Then take it. Discover the right route for your souls." (The Message)
And to share a portion of the book I'm currently reading (Passionate Housewives Desperate for God):


"When we find ourselves bogged down in a cultural quagmire, the answer is to go back. We must do as the bereans did, searching the Scriptures to see what is true and what we must do ("These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so." Acts 17:11 NKJV). The answer is most assuredly not to consult modern-day "experts" who attempt to rewrite the Scriptures to suit our personal lifestyles and wishes."
This book is about rediscovering a woman's role as a homemaker and to "consider the beautiful picture painted in Scripture of the truly fulfilled homemaker who glories in the hopeful calling God created for her." I'm able to read it with the approach of praying about each chapter and discovering what it means for my life...not my neighbor's life, not my best friend's life, not even your life...I don't post these things to make anyone else question what they are doing - it is my search for who I am in Christ.

With Christ calling me back to this particular step, I can read with a different perspective. This is a search to find out who I am - what I am called to be.

Its not about vain babblings - as my dear friend Susan pointed out in this post.

"Yes, lets voice our opinions and state our views and then let us allow others to do likewise and realize that we are not all alike. We do not all see things exactly the same. We do have differing views on things. The main thing is that we allow each and every one of us to hear God's voice and to be lead by the Holy Spirit's direction to us individually in these matters."
Again, its returning to the tried and true road. We must search what path is for us. I don't need to imitate another's actions - because they may not be what God has in store for me...and there is only one way I'm going to learn what He has in store.

Now, this is not a new revelation to me - I know I've been on this step before. But I'm repeating it with new insights...gaining new knowledge. I know God has been working hard to get it to sink in - I guess I just tend to be a little thick in the ol' noggin.

"God loves His weak, imperfect, needy people. He didn't choose us because we won some international awards for strength, beauty, or intelligence. He has made us for Himself, and He is going to provide us with everything we need to serve Him and love others through our imperfect selves. What a joy to serve our perfect Creator, Who made us in His image and is transforming us (slowly, but surely) into the image of His perfect Son." (Passionate H. D. for God)

I'm so very thankful I serve a Savior that is patient with me while everything sinks in. Ya know? Maybe the clunk on the head from Colin's block is what got it through my thick noggin. Isn't it amazing how God uses our children to teach us?



Thank you Lord!!! Thank you for using my little imitator to help me see I need only be an imitator of You.




post signature

13 comments:

Mrs. Breum said...

Great one!

Dawnelle

Susan said...

This is such a wonderful post, Leigh Ann. The Holy Spirit is conforming us all. Praise God it is His work and all He wants from us is willingness and obedience. I know He finds those two things in you in abundance!!!!!

I love it when God speaks to us in the every day things that happen!!!
He surely spoke to you and then you in turn spoke to us. WOW!!!! The Body of Christ fit together.
Susan

... said...

great post, leigh ann. very convicting and encouraging. i love that piece of scripture from jeremiah. thanks for your words of wisdom this morning :]

weavermom said...

Awesome post! So true and yet one of those things we'll be learning how to live out for the rest of our lives, I think.

Tracy said...

I'm reading this book too, and though nothing in it is new to me, it's so refreshing! great post!

Just Mom said...

LOL and WOW

That was wonderfully written.

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Thanks Leigh ann for the reminders that our little ones are always watching us and what we should be modeling.

I am reminded of that song that goes, "Lord, I wanna be just like you, cuz he wants to be just like me."

KEEP BELIEVING

Sandy said...

Authentic living (what my post is about) is living out and parenting how you are inspired (by h.s.)- and not by what others do! It's easy to look at others but ... we have to stick w/our own convictions. Great post. Don't get over here often but enjoy when I do.

candy said...

Hey L.A. :) How are ya doin! :) Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment.
The sewing machine is ok. But then, Im really truly more of a hand sewer so the machine dosnt impress me LOL :) But I mean, it is ok. But if you have tried different ones before, you may find this one VERY basic and just ok.. not sure :) Not much help hey LOL

I actually came across the blog of the author who wrote that book!! And left her a comment asking where I could find that book in Canada because so far no luck whatsoever but she hasnt replied back to me so now Im not sure if I even want to read the book anymore LOL Ok, I still kinda do but wish I could find it...its been so frustrating trying to get one. Cant even order it in a local bookstore for some reason.

ANYWAY... :)
Hope things are going well with y'all.

Candy :)

Lori said...

Great post.
I had to giggle a little about C grabbing a block instead of a pillow. Ouch! I bet that hurt.

What a great lesson and great reminder. I also love the Jeremiah passage. I'm going to check into that book. It sounds awesome.

Thanks for stopping by. I'll try to post more often and comment and keep in touch better. Now that things are going more smoothly.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

I couldn't find the part that mentioned who the guest blogger was....







BWA HAHAHAHAHA

This was so great LA! I mean it. Wow. I love the passages you pulled out. That book (housewives...) sounds so good.

thanks for the great reminder - it is HIS standard and purpose for ME, not the standards of the world or His purpose for my neighbor.

MorningSong said...

So true!! These little nuggets of wisdom are so God! How could anyone have such a train of thought about being hit with a block. I love the personal touch of God! It ALWAYS amazes me and makes me smile! He is so perfect!

Blessings!

Andrea said...

Nicely put! I find that oftentimes, other believers don't understand my passion for something or may even be offended by it. But really, I am not trying to get other to imitate me - I'm just so glad when I have been blessed by following the Spirit's leading for MY life that I have to talk about it! Who knows us better that the One who made us? He has a plan for us that is unique and not to be a copy of someone else! Thanks for the knock on my noggin as I often times find myself looking to copy others first b4 going to the Lord! How silly is that approach?
Andrea