February 1, 2008

Rain, rain go away - or not!

This morning, its raining - and we have ice warnings. The driveway doesn't look bad, but all our concrete walks are covered in ice.

I was wishing the rain to stop, until I remembered tomorrow is Groundhog's Day. Is this a big deal anywhere else? Not that I think it is a big deal, but there is a town in PA which makes a HUGE deal about this holiday. Holiday? LOL

If Punxsutawny Phil doesn't see his shadow tomorrow - then spring will be right around the corner - RAIN ON!! Rain down on me!! Raindrops keep falling on my head!!

Please tell me there are other states with crazed people or, the "inner circle" awaiting one big day where a varmint will predict the weather? Or is it just us?

In case you were interested, here are some "answers to FAQ about the holiday" from the "Official site of the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club" - oh please! LOL

*Yes! Punxsutawney Phil is the only true weather forecasting groundhog. The others are just impostors.
*How often is Phil's prediction correct? 100% of the time, of course!
*How many "Phils" have there been over the years? There has only been one Punxsutawney Phil. He has been making predictions for over 120 years!
*Punxsutawney Phil gets his longevity from drinking the "elixir of life," a secret recipe. Phil takes one sip every summer at the Groundhog Picnic and it magically gives him seven more years of life.
*On February 2, Phil comes out of his burrow on Gobbler's Knob - in front of thousands of followers from all over the world - to predict the weather for the rest of winter.
*According to legend, if Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter weather. If he does not see his shadow, there will be an early spring.
*No! Phil's forecasts are not made in advance by the Inner Circle. After Phil emerges from his burrow on February 2, he speaks to the Groundhog Club president in "Groundhogese"(a language only understood by the current president of the Inner Circle). His proclamation is then translated for the world.
*The celebration of Groundhog Day began with Pennsylvania's earliest settlers. They brought with them the legend of Candlemas Day, which states, "For as the sun shines on Candlemas Day, so far will the snow swirl in May..."
*Punxsutawney held its first Groundhog Day in the 1800s. The first official trek to Gobbler's Knob was made on February 2, 1887.


Good grief!! I know you all wanted to know that!

You know, its a good thing Phil is in Punxsutawney, becuase if he popped his head out of a hole in our backyard...well, let's just say his prediction-making days would be, um, over!

post signature

The giveaway contest ends today at noon (est) - be sure to comment to win. And if you need to laugh, I mean really laugh - go read the comments from my "overzealous readers"!!! HAHA I love you all!!

11 comments:

Sandy said...

I think we may be the only state that has a famous groundhog! LOL

Mary@notbefore7 said...

A bit obsessive, huh? I think it has rubbed off on you :)

Here's to some spring time.

And yes, I read everyone of them, so you can quiz me...

Susan said...

Leigh Ann please check in and see what I awarded you today! Now you know why I was asking the "how to" question. Can you believe my precious Mickey figured it out for me:o) I COULDN'T take up your offer to help because it would have ruined the surprise.
Susan

Pen of Jen said...

Lol...being a former Ohioan, Groundhog day was BIG for us. I used to make it big for the kids when they were small...but it is not too big in the Southwest, where we begin planting by end of February!

Just Mom said...

You might enjoy reading this classic from Just Mom's Musings.

... said...

no, we here in colorado don't really care about the varmint. we DO care about when spring will bloom. it's been a cold - brrrrr - winter!

have a great weekend.

Tracy said...

Verne is in Pittsburgh today on business, and I really miss being there on Groundhog Day.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to to check out your over zealous readers. You have such great and devoted fans :o)

Phil who?

MorningSong said...

No, we know of this blessed groundhog but it really is not a big deal. We see the event on our evening news, I am sure the preschoolers have fun learning about the "holiday"!

If you had asked us 'what day is groundhog day?' I could not have told you! So, do enjoy! I will be waiting with anticipation now since I know it is on it's way!

Jane said...

I CAN'T believe it is FEB already! Where did January go?

j said...

I am a huge Ground Hog's Day fan way down here in ALABAMA. My own little ground hog poked his head out 7 years ago on that day (icky concept, I know). Penn. has Phil, I have D. If I had to share my birthday with a holiday, this would be as good as any; little man is better off than Dec 25 b'day folk! (besides the Big B'day Boy!) Enjoyed your post VERY much - Jennifer