I always enjoy reading blogs to see how families spend their holidays and Valentine's Day was no different. Typically, we don't make much of this holiday other than to make sure we go a little more out of our way to let each other know they are loved and appreciated for all they do.
This year, as in year's past, I placed the focus of this day on helping my children show their love for their daddy. It is such a joy to see them doing things because they know Daddy will love it.
Our plans began early in the week (well, once we could finally talk about food). It was mostly Quintin and me doing the planning because sometimes Elle just gets a little too excited and has a hard time keeping those surprises to herself! ;-) Hmmm, wonder where she gets that from?
Our plan was executed very well last evening and I know Daddy felt very loved and very special and the kids felt so wonderful for pulling off some fun surprises.
Here's the recap:
We started our day with some shopping in order to make T's favorite meal (chicken tetrazinni) and to purchase one of his favorite appetizers: mushrooms stuffed with crabmeat. We also scanned the store for some tasty after-dinner-delights so as not to feel too overwhelmed in the kitchen (it was the first meal I cooked in a whole week).
After their rest time in the afternoon, the work began. I got the kids excited by talking about what needed to be done. Quintin started on the card making process while Elle and I started in the kitchen.
We scrubbed, sliced, chopped, diced, cooked, sauteed until we had the tetrazinni in the oven. Then on to cleaning up the counters. But first, for some reason I thought it was an appropriate time to de-clutter the fridge too. WHAT???!!!! A run of the garbage disposal and gazillions of containers in the sink later, we were ready to continue.
Next, I got Elle and Quintin set up with the strawberries. Elle was the green "thingy" remover and Quintin worked to slice them - I took care of fanning them. As we worked we talked about what needed to be done. How we'd need to check during dinner if Daddy needed more water (while we're talking I'm getting the pretty water pitcher from the cupboard and filling it), and that we need candles (ok, candlesticks, where are you?), and we'll want to make sure we have the toppings for the dessert (dessert? where is dessert? Oh yes, in the garage fridge, let's get them out before we forget)! The kids loved planning all the little details.
We heard the garage door go up as we put the mushrooms in to bake - perfect timing. The kids met Daddy at the door and escorted him upstairs so he could not see what was happening in the kitchen. Before he slipped into the shower, I made him aware of the dress code for the evening: athletic casual. He asked, "You mean sweats?" I answered, "Yep!"
We quickly placed a pretty red tablecloth on the table and even got out the fancy napkins which I folded and Quintin thought resembled a pirate something or other. We put ice in everyone's glasses (the kids didn't even have plastic last night) and placed the silverware on the table. The final touch was to light the candles and put Daddy's card at his seat. The kids went back upstairs to meet Dad at the bedroom door and lead him downstairs to have a seat in the living room. (We have a very open floor plan and our upstairs hallway is like a catwalk where you can see down into the family room/kitchen area).
I dimmed the lights and went and got them all. Quintin said prayers and then came to the kitchen to get the mushrooms for T - he loved them!
We served this:
Here's another picture of that fanned strawberry - sorry, I just think they look so pretty!
or this:
Um, we all had a slice of each! LOL
I loved seeing my children put their whole selves...their hearts...into planning special things like this. I think it is great to have a day where we can do some extra things like this as a family!
What fun!
I know T felt really special last night. And, how was I made to feel special yesterday? Well, my hubby has a knack for catching me by surprise. Every couple years, he picks a special day (holiday, birthday, anniversary) to do something extra special for me...and this year, it was Valentine's Day. I found a box on my nightstand yesterday morning when I woke up, with this inside:
I would have planned every detail the same had it not been there. We shared a wonderful meal around the table by candlelight - even though I didn't take any other pictures, this evening has been burned into my mind as a precious time together as family.
Thank you for letting me share it with you.

22 comments:
no, thank you... for sharing it with us. what a beautiful picture of family love. i'm sure everyone felt loved, and that is the real reason for this holiday.
and boy, does that dinner look scrumptious.
You know what? This would have been how we celebrated Valentine's Day too, if it hadn't been for that icky flu bug. We're planning on celebrating as soon as everyone gets better.
BRAVO, ROAR FAMILY.
Oh! Love the sparkly. :-D
I'm so thankful that you were all feeling well enough to eat two pieces of dessert. That says alot!
What a lovely evening, Leigh Ann. I know that each of you will remember it for years to come!
Yeah! I beat Ginger in commenting this time! :) Just Mom...she's quick!
Glad you had such a great evening. Sounds like everyone had fun both giving and receiving.
<3 <3 <3
That is so precious!! We were of like mind yesterday (or should I say this week with the planning). Audrey and I made Turkey Tetrazzini for Daddy last night, put the table cloth on, and made special 'home-made' cards for all the loved ones. Way to go T...beautiful necklace.
So cool!
Me and the kids decided to do heart cupcakes but they missed the "we" part...yea, I ended up doing them. :-)
Happy Valentine's Day!
AWESOME JOB ROAR FAMILY!!!!
You are truly an amazing person!!
can I come over next Valentine's Day?!?
Please....
Such a precious time!! Happy Valentine's Day!
Blessings!
What a great way to come out of your illness. Good memories for your kids. AND you got the bonus of cleaning out all the unknown fridge remnants in there. Score!
KEEP BELIEVING
Wow! What a wonderful Valentines you had. How fun for the kids to help you make it special for their dad.
Your meal and dessets looks delicous.
You day and evening sound wonderful. Glad you were all up to it after the sickies. The three diamonds for each of your three special kids!! NICE!!!
Susan
What a wonderful thing making dinner together for T. Glad you're feeling better. And I love the necklace!
We served asparagus too with our chicken! This looks wonderful and I must remember to fan out my strawberries! We are in the smackdab middle of our strawberry season here in FL. so we'll be doing lots of yummy things with strawberries!
So glad you had a fun day of loving on your hubby and the kids daddy! I'm sure he was reminded of what a blessed man he is!
I'm coming to your house for dinner! Your meals always look so yummy and you present them so pretty. Sounds like you and T had a nice Valentines. Love the necklace, he did good.
Monica
Loving Loving the blingy bling :)
I think that is a wonderful way to spend the day...focusing on wonderful daddy! Sounds like it was great. You're inspiring.
Wow! I love reading about your sweet family. You make me want to be a better wife and mommy. You seem to flow in this role so easily. I know I only see part of your life, but it is a treat to even see that. I know why your husband got you that beautiful necklace. Because he knows how blessed he and his family are to have you. Blessings!
Glory
What an absolute wonderful Valentine's Day!!!
Those desserts are just sinful!
Sounds like you guys did an awesome job of making T feel loved and special.
The bling is beautiful. How awesome, some sparkle to represent your three little blessings.
Way to go Trav!
I loved reading about how you all worked together to make a dinner for Daddy. So sweet, and I love your new necklace. It's beautiful!
Hugs,
Kelli
Oh LA, that's beautiful...all of it. And what a beautiful treat for you, too!
JM--sorry you guys had the bug...I hope the love bug can come another unexpected day and make it even more precious.
Post a Comment