August 22, 2011

Stretching fabric over a frame - hedgehog applique



I am in love with the applique blocks at Wee Folk Art.  As soon as I saw the little hedgehog pattern, I knew I had to make it for Elle.  Before I could even start it though, I had to figure out how I was going to display it.  I had first thought I'd make a pillow, but I really wanted it to hang on her wall.  To hang it, I didn't want the expense of framing it.  I started researching stretching fabric over a frame.  Most websites I found used a canvas art board, with a 1" or 1.5" side.  I had found one website that mentioned stretcher bars.

When I got to the craft store, I found the stretcher bars, for the size I needed, were considerably cheaper than the canvas art boards.  The thing I like about these stretcher bars (see below) are you buy 4 sides so it can be whatever size you need.  I wanted my final project to be square, so I bought four 9" bars. 


Their notches and grooves made it easy to connect them.  I only needed the outside corners to be square - the inside corners didn't join perfectly, but it didn't matter because the fabric would cover them.


The hedgehog was easy and quick to stitch up - and lots of fun!  Elle loved observing my progress.  After I finished the 6x6" piece, I used a blanket stitch to stitch the applique onto a purple gingham.  I used a felt sheet (9x12) to back the fabric.


Using my dad's staple gun, I attached the fabric to the stretcher bars.  There are plenty of websites to show you how to attach it at the corners (I didn't take pictures of that).

And here's the final project (from Friday's post).


And, here it is displayed in her room. 

post signature

7 comments:

Mari said...

It's very cute! I'm impressed. :)

Susan said...

Perfect, as always. Will you be doing one for the 2 boys rooms?

Shirley said...

So cute! I'll bet she loves it!

Ginger said...

You never cease to amaze me! The quilt is gorgeous and I love it over the bed.

Just Mom said...

That bed is so inviting, especially after a night of disturbed sleep.

LOVE that hedgehog. Nicely done, Momma Roar. :-D

Julieann said...

Love, Love, Love it!!!! The quilt is also gorgeous.

Julieann

Lynn said...

Super cute, LA! Love it.