Orphan care has always had a HUGE piece in my heart. So one evening, on the way to Bible Study (we were leading The Truth Project), I mentioned it to T.
Let me back up a little and let you know that the "theme" for The Truth Project is Transformation. I had also started a devotional written by various people in our area that had the theme Transformation. And I had begun Ann Voskamp's "One Thousand Gifts" at the beginning of the year...with the theme, Transformation. So when I prayed about a "word" for 2011, the Lord had already brought Transformation to the front and center of our hearts and minds. I joked with my sister in law that I need to buy a Transform.ers t-shirt for the year - to wear under my clothing! ;)With Transformation, being our word for the year, we prayed and felt God calling us to this mission opportunity for our family.
We submitted our application and back on February 28, we selected a 9 year old boy, Andriy. A whole realm of emotions followed for our family, but we were excited!
Then in May, we found out that Andriy would not be able to travel to America for the summer and we were given a chance to view the "second chance photos" of children who had not been selected, because at this point, the time to choose host children had been closed. We talked as a family and decided on a 13 year old boy, Artem, from Andriy's orphanage. I have pictures of both boys (from a facebook friend who was on the interview team and met them) sitting aside one another playing and talking. It was a crazy rollercoaster of emotions making the adjustment - and we hadn't even met either of the boys. But God had already made a huge spot in our hearts to love Andriy and we knew he'd do the same for Artem. And He has!
This past Tuesday, June 28 (exactly 4 months after we had made the decision to host), Artem and many others flew into the USA.
(the top photo was taken with my phone and has such a long delay that we lost the boys' attention!)
Prior to his arrival, I was quite anxious. But we have some amazing prayer warriors who have held us up in prayer. My "pity party" quickly ended when I looked at everything from Artem's vantage point. Not only did they have a tremendously long flight, but they had to interview for their visas in Kiev on Monday morning and there was travel involved to get there. They've had a long journey and we are happy to have him in our home.
He's a joy to have despite the language barrier. We have some books, flashcards, goo.gle translate and charades! ;)
He came with just a little clothing, a hat, 1 pair of shoes. And, he brought a few small toys - I'm sure they are his prized possessions as they are just one thing that he can call his own. Right now, they are on the dresser in his room (Colin is sleeping in Quintin's room so that Artem can have his own room). We went to Wa.lmar.t yesterday and I was thrilled to see his smile when I let him pick out a t-shirt featuring his favorite toys.
His favorite toy?
Transfor,mers.
Coincidence? NO WAY!
What's that old commercial? "Transform,ers! More than me,ets the eye!"
I can say that God is transforming this family!

[The periods and commas placed in words throughout the post is to keep my blog posts from showing up in goog.le searches for those words/phrases.]



11 comments:
The end of this post made me cry. There are NO accidents or coincidences with the Lord! He has a plan and a purpose.
Artem is a darling boy and you already know my heart is 100% for all of you during this time.
Still cannot forget the photo of E and C holding hands with him.
amazing memories are being made for your family and ARtem. What a great gift that you are blessing this child with.
I was also crying at the end of your post. I'm so excited for Artem and your family.
Hi - I am acquainted with you because of Ginger! I love this program. I also have a heart for orphans - mostly because I have adopted a child. Would you be willing to send me some information on this program? This is something our family would consider doing. Enjoy your time together. I know you will be a blessing for him but am positive you will also receive a blessing in return.
((((HUG)))
LOVE YOU, LA!
Now that's just AWESOME! Got goosebumps - definitely a Spirit thing going on there! I am so excited for the transformation going on in your family!
What an exciting opportunity for your family...and for Artem! :)
Wow! Transformers - who would have thought!
I have a feeling that all of you will be going through some transforming this summer.
Oh Leigh Ann, I love what T-shirt he choose. God's providence!!! So cool! Loved reading your post... We're still praying!
Simply awesome!
Glad to have found your blog. I remember Artem from Ukraine but I didn't know the back story of how you chose him at the last minute and how you got involved with NHFC. So nice to see Artem smiling and happy.
Post a Comment