April 8, 2010

Playing in Traffic



A few years ago, I was washing supper dishes and praying/talking with God.  T and the kids were playing in another room, offering me quiet time.  While talking/thinking/praying a picture popped into my head.

I was standing on the median strip of a very busy highway.  Cars were zooming by so quickly that I could only see the red and white blurred lines of their lights.

Since the time of that picture - I had wondered what it meant.  What I didn't realize until recently, was that God was changing me.  During that specific period of growth, I didn't realize what the picture meant.  But now, I can look back with clarity on its purpose.

I have come to discover that I was at a point in my walk where I needed to make a choice.  God was showing me my choice with 2 lanes of opposing traffic.  A choice on how I was going to live out my Christian faith.  Up until that point, I had been doing a lot of modeling - following what others around me were doing.  Modeling isn't necessarily bad, but I felt that God had called me to a closer walk with Him. 

To begin my own walk.

To stop imitating another's walk. 

To step out and pick a lane of traffic, so to speak. 

As a new Christian, I think modeling is a natural tendency.  But there were things I was doing with a terribly wrong attitude.  Things I "thought" needed to be done that way, because I had seen them done that way - but it wasn't bringing me closer to God - it was pushing me away.

I started to search - for *my* purpose.  I wanted to act/serve with a better attitude - not a critical one.  I realized God was calling me - so I RAN!  And oh, the freedom I found! 

The picture isn't initially what prompted me to step out, but as I look back over the changes in my life these past few years, I can see it was the sign He used to prepare my heart.  To me, the picture is a glorious image of not only what I left behind - but the enormity of His richness and mercy that lay ahead of me.  And it is something that continues to keep me in check - Which lane am I in?  Am I following His call for my life - or my neighbor's?  Am I doing something because I feel spiritually convicted - or because someone else thinks it is right?

The culminating changes in my life resulting from that picture, or vision, have given me refreshment and freedom.  And it's never felt so good ... to play in traffic! ;-)


post signature

10 comments:

Susan said...

What an awesome, God inspired post and walk!!!!! Love the accompaning picture.

Anonymous said...

Learning to step out in faith and follow God's leading is huge. We can live a life of just trusting the ways of others, but in the end we need to cut those ties and follow God for ourselves. There are many wonderful and amazing things that friends and family can bring into our lives, but when we stand before our Lord we will be answering for one person, ourselves.

This is a milestone in your life. Once you realize that your faith is built on complete surrender and relationship rather than traditions and habits you are set free indeed!

Janiece said...

I read this five times....couldn't get enough of it. There was/is a lump in my throat.

Charity Hildebrand said...

Awesome post, thanks for sharing :)

Just Mom said...

Wonderful post, LA.



btw ... I hope you're looking both ways before crossing the street -- and wearing sunscreen. ;-D

Shirley said...

How exciting to see all that God is teaching you! Keep in the fast lane, girl! :)

weavermom said...

Great word picture! I had a pastor once that said the true challenge of the Christian life is not determining right from wrong, but best from good. Seems like the same idea of finding exactly what God what have YOU do. I'm glad you're now in your lane! :)

Brenda said...

I love that analogy.
Been there done that for far too long. Never 'working out my own salvation' but just taking what others would say at face value.
Thank God for His mercy who finally got me on the path He chose for me.

michelle said...

What a beautiful picture filled with deep meaning. God is good and I love that He is so personal with us. He speaks "our" specific language in which to hear and respond.

Lynn said...

"He's still workin' on me...to make me what I ought to be..." That song popped into my head as I read this post. Great thoughts.