Take, for example, the empty trash can at the end of my driveway.
Am I drawn to it because I need to go and get it, or can I see it as beautiful? A gift from God?
Each week, we put our trash by the curb. All I need to do is collect the trash the night before and roll the trash can to the end of my driveway. The next day the trash truck comes and removes it. It is empty.
Our family adds to that trashcan. Every. Single. Day. With lots of trash.
And I sin. Every. Single. Day. Filling my own metaphorical trashcan.
And then, the trash can is empty. In prayer, I am made empty of my sin.
All I have to do is gather it up and be willing to take it to the curb. To let go. And He takes my trash.
**God placed this word picture on my heart Tuesday. On Wednesday, the first day of Lent, we started reading the book Amon's Adventure: A Family Story for Easter (written by the same author that wrote Jotham's Journey, the book we read for Advent).
After the story, there is a short devotional. I knew God wanted me to become more aware of taking out the trash when I read this in Wednesday's devotional, "Lent is a time to refocus our lives on God, to throw out the trash of our own sin, and prepare to let the power of the resurrection wash across us once again."
God is so good!


9 comments:
Leigh Ann - a simple everyday picture of what happens to our trash, but what a glorious picture for us of our sin rubbish. Thank you
I love this word picture!
Great post. Good way to help explain to kids the power of God's grace. I'll be using this example!
PS - I've been wanting to read that book.
Love this post.
I like the comparison of the trash can and the sin in our lives.
Good for me to be focusing on getting rid of my trash this lenten season.
I will have to check into purchasing the two books you mentioned.
B*E*A*U*T*I*F*U*L Leigh Ann. Just what I needed. I'm learning from the book as well and woke up today staring my list mentally. I need to get a little book to carry with me, but sure felt positive to look around and give thanks! God is good!
very inspiring. now everytime i carry one of those stinky bags to the garbage can, i'll remember this post!
"Take it to the curb." It's the new "Offer it up." ;-D
Thanks for sharing, Leigh Ann! I actually just bought that book and can't wait to start it!
Glad you "re-cycled" this one!!!!
Post a Comment